Tuesday, January 1, 2008

A Changed World

I am troubled and saddened this week as I read and watch the accounts of the assassination of Bhutto. Not that I have a personal interest in the politics of Pakistan, but it is always sad to see someone give their life in pursuit of a cause and the pain of her family and supporters is something we all can identify with.

I wonder if anyone else sees the comparison to Archduke Franz Ferdinand in this sad tale. The politics of a small country being manipulated to advance the goals of powerful allies on each side. Often times, major historical events, earth changing forces are set in motion by seemingly insignificant actions.

The location and importance of Pakistan may seem relatively insignificant to us here in the US but maybe this is the seemingly insignificant event that will trigger a changed world. It is tempting to inject our own interpretations into events. It is impossible to know the path this action will lead our world down, however I think we can safely say, our path has been altered. I hope.

No comments:

 
Locations of visitors to this page