Saturday, January 5, 2008

Sabbath School Discussion Questions - January 5

We embark upon a new quarterly this sabbath and I'm always a little torn between sad to move on a tired of the old topic. I must admit I'm looking forward to studying about discipleship this quarter as it complements an in-depth study I've been doing in my personal bible study. I'm looking forward to a conversation this morning with my Sabbath School class about what it means to be a disciple.

What is a disciple?
How do you become a disciple?
Why do would someone want to become a disciple?
In the story of Jesus calling the four fishermen, whose idea was it for the fishermen to follow Jesus?
What did Jesus ask them to do?
What did they have to give up?
Put yourself in their shoe's, picture walking away from you family, home, and business to follow Jesus, how did they feel?
Why did they do it?
Can you be a disciple if you are not asked to follow the master?
Do you feel Jesus calling you to sit at his feet?
Can we be disciples today?
How?
Is it possible to be a disciple of TV, or books, or a preacher or education or religion?
What or who are we disciples of?

What has collected my thoughts this week has been the power of Jesus' call, the invitation to follow, we cannot be disciples unless we are called, we cannot be lead unless we follow. We are all disciples of something and someone and our actions, our time, reveals the object of our devotions.

No comments:

 
Locations of visitors to this page